Sunday, October 2, 2011

Team player Vs Culprit...

Now days we occasionally hear healthcare provider will say.. “be a team player... we are on the same team”... I personally, have heard this statements numerous time.

When someone did something wrong, I’ve heard people said... “You must work as a Team”.

When someone said something wrong,.... “We must work as a Team”

Honestly, I’ve been called “Not a Team Player” before. I was accused this when I shouted at a medical officer seing my patient in Emergency Department.

Am I really not a team player??. Sometimes I wonder and start to think back... What do we mean by the word “Team”.

“Team” in a simple words mean : Group of people working together for a specific goal.

On the other hand “Culprit” means: “The cause of a problem” or “person who is responsible for a crime.”

In healthcare, a Team should be a group of people that fight for a common goal... PATIENT’S CARE.

So, when someone shouted because the care provided to his patient was inadequate ... he is a team player not a culprit.

Went someone raise an important issue regarding patients care ... he is a team player. Opposing that is the Culprit.

Finally, as for me:

When a lay person did something great to the patient... He is a Team Player

When a Consultant/physician/surgeon/medical officer/etc did something lousy... He is a Culprit. Stop calling him a Team player.

3 comments:

Idzwan said...

If that is the case, I m always a culpritlah. I always shout at my team members if they re too slow. Idzwan

Dr. Azlan Kamalludin (Landen) said...

Dear Dr Idzwan,

In my book, as long as we are fighting for our patients.. we are always a team player... Either we shout or not...

Thanks for dropping by...

Gan hookok said...

I too was called not.a.team.player for many times.

I then later observe that the person who call me that, don't get into the group working on the issue.

So who is not team player? I still doubt.

Cheers!