Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Treating patients as parents…. Should we???

We all have heard remarks that doctors should treat patients as their parents. Some of us accepted this view as it’s provided a firm practices of medicine.

I personally think this notion should be alter.

When my parent was admitted, I was able to stay up more than 36 hours, running from department to department, stand-sit-kneel and all of others. I managed to do this for one patient. We managed numerous patients per day and it is impossible if we would have to do the same.

Plus, when we managed our parents, we tend not to be objectified. First, we would think the worst possible diagnosis and doing unnecessary investigations. Second, some of us would even go to the other extreme as thinking there is nothing terribly wrong with our parent and asking them to sit tight in the house.

Belief me when I say I’ve seen doctors that wrongly treated their parents. Most of them regretted what they have done.

The best way is to get a second opinion. This not only shows the doctor’s maturity, it would directly give the best treatment to our parents.

So when you ask
“Should you treat your patients as you are treating your parents?”.. I’ll answer NO and alter to..
“We should treat our patients as we would like other doctors to treat our parents”

Does it sound fair???

1 comment:

Jacknaim said...

doctors are brothers and sisters to each other. that's the oath of muslim doctor. that's a reason why old timer doctor didnt charge a doctor or doctor's relative who come to them for treatment.

for me, there's a feeling where i hardly talk about medicine with my family. there's like shield there. therefore, i always hoping that my brother and sister in medical field will treat them for their best interest.

and insyaALLAH, i will try my best to do the same to others